Alex Stanley wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> That's what some pundits are predicting because many people will
>> have to buy new Pee Cees to run it, upgraders will pay close to
>> 300 bucks and many are just tired of the Spyware issues and so
>> on which will surely follow Vista. It's said to be a fairly
>> different UI that many hardcore Wintel people may not tolerate.
>>

> I held out as long as I could before switching from Win2000 to XP, and
> I'll probably hold out as long as I can before switching to Vista.
> After all, it's only when Microsoft starts shipping a product that the
> real beta testing begins, and it usually takes a couple years to weed
> out the most egregious flaws. Besides, this PC is only 3 years old,
> and its 2.8GHz P4 is overkill for what I do. A couple years from now,
> everything will be multiple cores up the wazoo and fully capable of
> running the most bloated of bloatware.
I delayed a few months on XP.  Also prior to that part of my work
involved beta OS and software tests.  I remember the infamous IBM OS/2
betas which we called a "half-OS." :)

OTOH, I was involved in the steering committee of the consortium that
resulted in DirectX.   That included meetings at Microsoft and dealing
with Alex St. John.   DirectX came from Games PC consortium where the
manufacturers didn't want to run into the compatibility problems the
sound card companies were experiencing.  The VESA group put in a bid to
do a layer but we kind poo-poo'ed that since they had already blown
their VESA spec. :)

What I am concerned about is how much MS will lock out video development
in Vista especially being in bed with the movie companies and their
damned DRM and DMCA POS.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: