1. Get your vet to give him Immuno-regulin, which you can order cheaply online if he does not have it. I really think it helps them get over infections and viruses faster.

2. To soothe his mouth and throat, syringe him slippery elm syrup. You can get powdered slippery elm at a health food store, or in capsules.  Mix it with boiling water (I used capsules and it was 5 capsules to a cup of water, I think) and stir until dissolved. Turn off heat and keep stirring until it has a syrupy consistency.  Let it cool down and syringe him a couple of cc's a few times a day-- syringe it slowly so it goes down slowly and coats his throat. I use slippery elm lozenges myself when I have sore throats-- it is a gentle age-old remedy and is fine for cats (also good for diarrhea and constipation and nausea by the way, and has nutrients).

3. I would syringe feed him, something very blended and liquidy, so he does not get sicker from not eating. You might want to do it shortly after giving the slippery elm so his throat feels better.

Michelle