Kerry, another thought... Has the vet looked into rheumatoid arthritis for Bandy? That kind of arthritis is immune-mediated.  I am wondering if that could be what is going on. I don't know if cats get it.  Does he have any swelling in his leg joints when he gets sore? If so, there is also something called polyarthritis that is an immune-mediated problem, which comes from the body attacking itself. My dog Fern got that as a response to her lung cancer (they seem to go together) and needed a lot of steroids to combat it (which then gave her Cushings disease, but dogs can't handle steroids like cats can).

Michelle