Too dusty? Would it be sanitary?
I used to use Oil Dry (what mechanics put on garage floors to soak up oil).
It's not scoopable, of course, but inexpensive.
  From: Marylyn
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 6:14 PM
  Subject: Re: Litterboxes

  A question on this issue:

  I was watching PC (outside cat who decided there was a cute little grey cat
and good food here).  Has anyone used or considered using sand for litter?
Cheap, disposable???

                                                   If you have men who will
exclude any of God's creatures
                                                   from the shelter of
compassion and pity, you will have men who
                                                   will deal likewise with
their fellow man.
                                                                    St. Francis