Lynne,

Please check with another vet re the interferon. Vets have very different ideas on how and when to use it. Second opinions don't hurt anything.
On Feb 24, 2008, at 8:34 PM, Lynne wrote:

El, I am too new to this to give advice but I am sure you will be receiving many replies shortly by many knowledgeable people on this group. It sounds to me that you are doing every thing possible for these animals that can benefit them. The fact that your girl is around 8 years old may be an encouraging sign. Maybe the antibiotics are contributing to her diarrhea? and it is a temporary thing? I can't imagine what more you can do for her. She obviously seems happy which is a really important thing and of course it is necessary to keep yours isolated from the others. You'll need to ask your vet about the interferon. It could be useful. Apparently it has shown some favorable results. If I had that option now I would definitely try it but it's too late for my boy according to the vet. Sorry I can't be of help, I so admire you for what you have done for these animals. I'm sure others will come forward as soon as they see your email.

Best of luck
Lynne
----- Original Message -----
From: whocares whocares
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:05 PM
Subject: new member with FeLV+ foster kitty Milli

To:     felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Hi,
This is my first post so please bear with me. I'm posting this through email. If there's a more efficient way please let me know. 2 weeks ago I took in 7 filthy, reeking, matted, very, very ill cats from a horrific shelter in the area. All were emaciated, dehydrated, infected eyes, URI's, ear mites/infections, severe diahrea, etc.. My vet didn't think they'd make it through the first night but here they are getting healthier by the day. Some still need injectable antibiotic combos daily but they are improving. One of these had severe gingivitis - very infected teeth that had to be dealt quickly. She survived the anaesthetic and had all except 4 teeth removed (her canines were sticking sideways out of her mouth they were so infected). She had a blood panel done and she tested positive for FeLV. Her other levels correlate with the positive diagnosis. She may be up to 8 yrs old? She has a severe URI which is improving. However, she has terrible diahrea. She is on a daily injectable antibiotic combo and also gets injectable B12 and injectable B complex. I have her on probiotics and Standard Process Whole Body Support. I have Collostrum. Do you recommend it and how much should I give her? She's tiny and fragile - 4 - 5 lbs now. Do you recommend Interferon? What else can I give her? She is isolated in a very large sunny warm bathroom and very happy and very active (even a bit hyper). She has gone from NASTY cat in the beginning to sweet cuddly lap cat now. Two of the others have been tested (awaiting results) and the other 4 will have blood panels this week. Some of these new cats are isolated together and some are isolated alone. My own cats and other permanent fosters I have are fragile and don't get vaxed - can't due to auto immune diseases, severe HCM, vaccinosis, etc. so the new ones have no contact with mine.
Any and all suggestions, advice would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks
El