Please check with another vet re the interferon. Vets have very
different ideas on how and when to use it. Second opinions don't hurt
On Feb 24, 2008, at 8:34 PM, Lynne wrote:
El, I am too new to this to give advice but I am sure you will be
receiving many replies shortly by many knowledgeable people on this
group. It sounds to me that you are doing every thing possible for
these animals that can benefit them. The fact that your girl is
around 8 years old may be an encouraging sign. Maybe the
antibiotics are contributing to her diarrhea? and it is a temporary
thing? I can't imagine what more you can do for her. She obviously
seems happy which is a really important thing and of course it is
necessary to keep yours isolated from the others. You'll need to
ask your vet about the interferon. It could be useful. Apparently
it has shown some favorable results. If I had that option now I
would definitely try it but it's too late for my boy according to
the vet. Sorry I can't be of help, I so admire you for what you
have done for these animals. I'm sure others will come forward as
soon as they see your email.
Best of luck
----- Original Message -----
From: whocares whocares
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:05 PM
Subject: new member with FeLV+ foster kitty Milli
This is my first post so please bear with me. I'm posting this
through email. If there's a more efficient way please let me know. 2
weeks ago I took in 7 filthy, reeking, matted, very, very ill cats
from a horrific shelter in the area. All were emaciated, dehydrated,
infected eyes, URI's, ear mites/infections, severe diahrea, etc.. My
vet didn't think they'd make it through the first night but here
they are getting healthier by the day. Some still need injectable
antibiotic combos daily but they are improving.
One of these had severe gingivitis - very infected teeth that had to
be dealt quickly. She survived the anaesthetic and had all except 4
teeth removed (her canines were sticking sideways out of her mouth
they were so infected).
She had a blood panel done and she tested positive for FeLV. Her
other levels correlate with the positive diagnosis. She may be up to
8 yrs old? She has a severe URI which is improving. However, she has
terrible diahrea. She is on a daily injectable antibiotic combo and
also gets injectable B12 and injectable B complex. I have her on
probiotics and Standard Process Whole Body Support. I have
Collostrum. Do you recommend it and how much should I give her?
She's tiny and fragile - 4 - 5 lbs now. Do you recommend Interferon?
What else can I give her? She is isolated in a very large sunny warm
bathroom and very happy and very active (even a bit hyper). She has
gone from NASTY cat in the beginning to sweet cuddly lap cat now.
Two of the others have been tested (awaiting results) and the other
4 will have blood panels this week. Some of these new cats are
isolated together and some are isolated alone. My own cats and other
permanent fosters I have are fragile and don't get vaxed - can't due
to auto immune diseases, severe HCM, vaccinosis, etc. so the new
ones have no contact with mine.
Any and all suggestions, advice would be gratefully accepted.