I have to agree with Laurie.  When Armond was left as the last cat standing, I
just couldn't bear for him to be alone.  (I think that cats can be solitary but
I know how much Armond LOVES to have a friend.  Someone to groom and sleep with
and wrestle with...)

  So, I set out on a long search to find him another positive kitty friend.
And, I found one - he is Preston and he is such a doll.  I could not bear the
thought of infecting another cat by bringing in one who was negative, when
there are so many positive cats who are unadoptable out there.  Preston's first
family had to give him up when he tested positive due to their other cats - it
was so wonderful to be able to tell them that we had rescued Preston and that
he had a happy home.

  The sanctuary where Preston was living has an entire room (old church
building) with about 40 positive kitties.  No one had ever adopted a cat from
there - not ever, until we got Preston.  Even though his life may not be as
long as other cats, I know that his life will be good and so will Armond's and
so will mine!

  Good luck with your decision...

laurieskatz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          I'd be as worried about Athena catching something from the FeLV
negative cat as the negative cat getting FeLV. My understanding is the virus is
shed via body fluids ~ saliva, nasal discharge, etc.

  A friend had a negative cat living with a group of positives for 5 or 6 years
and he never got sick (and tested negative for FeLV after that time ~ she
mistakenly thought he tested positive in the beginning or he was a false
positive).  SO, if you get another kitty who is not positive, you might want to
make sure that kitty is healthy when you bring it home. Also, it is important
that they get along so Athena isn't stressed out.

  You know, we really have no guarantees. I had 2 FeLv positive cats who lived
very long lives ~ 16 and 22 years. Squeaky was a "carrier". He was never sick.
Stripes was sick on and off. I was devastated when they died. So, I adopted 3
(unrelated) cats from the shelter at once. Insurance, you know. Keisha was age
unknown and the other 2 were about 6 months. Teddy, one of the young ones died
6 years later, of cancer. He got sick with IBD and asthma within the first year
after I adopted him and was sick his entire life. Coco, the other young'un is
still with me but has had 2 instances where I nearly lost her. Frankie (a
rescued feral kitten with asthma) lost most of his vision a year ago at age 9
and was diagnosed with pancreatitis which it seems he has conquered. Keisha
died last summer, completely unexpectedly, of congestive heart failure. I guess
I am giving examples of how we just never know. With my newest group (which
grew to 7), I was sure Keihsa would die first
 because she was oldest....not so.

  If it were me, I'd probably adopt another FeLV or no one. But that is just me
and by no means the "right" answer! Athena may never have a symptom. Squeaky
didn't. He outlived Stripes by another 7 years. I didn't adopt another cat only
because he was already older when Stripes died and he was so upset when Stripes
died. I never considered Squeaky sick since he never was.

  Take care of yourselves...let your heart lead you.
  Laurie