to the best of my knowledge, there are NO documented cases of a TRUE
negative (ie, tested more than once, having enough time for known exposure
to be ruled out) cat who was vaccinated having ever turned positive from
living with a TRUE positive (see above.)

yes, there are cases where cats who tested negative ONCE have turned up
positive later on, even tho vaccinated, after they'd lived with a positive:
but in every case, it was before any of us (including vets) realized that it
can take 120 days for exposure to show up in a test. so a negative test
means no more, in reality, than a positive test does, unless we know for
SURE with whom any cat has been hanging out--which, in rescue, we rarely do.

70% of adult healthy cats can be exposed and not become persistently
infected; the vaccine is 95% effective--and, based on anecdotal evidence
from owners who did NOT vaccinate their negatives yet mixed their cats, we
aren't even sure if the efficacy rate is for ALL cats, or just for high-risk
cats: the chances are very very low that a vaccinated, truly negative cat is
going to catch anything from a positive.

plus, please remember that an asymptomatic FeLV is just that: asymptomatic.
until and if the virus is activated, they are just like normal (?) cats:
they are no more or less susceptible to illness than any other cat, and they
come with no better or worse warranties than any other. they'll get uris,
they'll get utis, they'll get herpes infections, they'll get gingivitis,
etc--their FeLV status doesn't necessarily make them any more vulnerable,
while the virus is inactive. more vigilance is called for, but  these are
NOT persistently frail, delicate little blossoms that need to be protected
from the world we're talking about here.... (as most of us can attest to)

i'm absolutely ecstatic to read threads where so many vets are saying, "hey,
we can handle a FeLV, no problem!" just talked to someone locally who needs
to place two, and she found three local vets--what an incredible change that
is!

we all make the best decision for our own lives--but hopefully, we can do so
with adequare and accurate information.

MC

--

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!