Ohai, MaryChristine...I'm happy that you posted the website yet again...it's
the first time I have seen it!  You rock, mai fondue fren!Debbie (COL)"You
gotta bloom where you're planted!"

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:53:49 -0400From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]: Re: [Felvtalk] Introducing Daisy's Babies
unfortunately, not enough vets know as much as they really ought to. many, many
times i wish that i knew MORE, because i am NOT a vet, i am NOT a virologist,
and just do my best to make the things i've found clearer to others--and hope
that those who know more than i do, will do likewise!i think that EVERYONE who
has a FeLV, and who knows one, or who ever has loved one, needs to play out
copies of--of have the url to tattooed where they can show it everyone--the
most recent merck manual, where they've got the most up-to-date figures about
how many cats do NOT remain viremic after exposure..... shelters, rescues,
vets, people who claim to follow alley cat allies' policy yet in practice test
all cats and then KILL felvs (yet brag about the FeLVs they have at home):
there are no excuses for ignorance, and now that the anecdotal info that the
brave people who came before us is reaching the mainstream, ignorance about
FeLV is a CHOICE when made by professionals, veterinary or rescue. here's that
link again, and while i DO get tired of posting it, oh, well, if i don't (and
you don't, and you don't, and you, there, over in the corner snuggling with
your cute little FeLV baby, don't), no one else will.....) The Merck Veterinary
Manual -Feline Leukemia Virus and Related Diseases: Introduction do you have
other cats? (yeah, i know, i could go back and reread everything, but.....) are
you isolating the little ones because of their FeLV status, or presumed status?
are the older ones vaccinated against FeLV? if so, you really don't have to
worry about them mixing with the young ones if the adults are healthy.... as
the old-timers on this list can tell you, so far no one has been able to find a
single, documented case of a TRUE negative (tested at least twice, with enough
time for exposure and seroconversion times taken into consideration) becoming
positive from LIVING with (closely, not just breathing on in passing) a TRUE
positive (as above; testing positive over time, using at least two kinds of
tests). current vaccination efficacy rates at 95% (yes, i am trying to find
WHERE that figure is hiding in my hard drive; i know it was susan little, dvm,
of the winn feline foundation, that gave that figure to a cat-health list in
the past two or three years. many places state--not always with any proof or
citation--that cats seem to develop a natural immunity to the FeLV virus around
the age of one year, and with the KNOWN high percentage quoted in the merck re:
ability to remain or become negative after exposure, anyone can see how
miniscule the risk is for a vaccinated cat.is there a risk? of course there is.
is it a higher risk than the same negative cat is going to have some genetic
defect in its own history you have no knowledge of? i'm starting to think the
latter is a much higher probability....you might want to talk with some of the
folks who have positives running around their houses with the rest, now and in
the past, and see why they made that decision....i wish that i could tell you
that these little ones will, indeed, throw off the virus on their own and be as
adoptable as any others. kittens with FeLV still appear to have less of a
chance at a long life than those infected later in life, but we don't know
enough to say why, and which ones have the best chance, nor what we can do to
ensure that they get that absolute best chance. thank you for loving them.
that's the best gift of all, anyway.MC