This is Dixie's story:

For reasons unknown, a little grey full grown female came to my Mom's and began eating with the ferals she feeds and staying in a rubbermaid box I had outfitted as a shelter. I decided she should be a farm cat at my farm when I got the house built. I took her to Louisville to my long time vets at Middletown Animal Clinic to be spayed. They tested her for FeLV and, when they called to break the news, we decided to board her there until I could figure things out. She could not be released into the colony. Her teeth were the only symptom that showed and they were not bad. I made arrangements for her to stay in the garage at my Mom's and eventually took her and the Royal Princess Kitty Katt (who was terminally ill with cancer) to a trailer where we lived for a while. After I decided that Dixie could not be killed (I had no experience with FeLV+ and was lucky to find this group), I took her to Dr. Betty Boswell, DMV, a holistic vet who had treated several of my four legged friends--the doctors at MAC had originally sent me to her with a beagle and knew I was taking Dixie). Betty put Dixie on lots of supplements and we fed her the best foods available. After the Chinese pet food scar she ate no food that had grains in it. She ate Taste of the Wild, Wellness and Primal Raw. I realize that some think FeLV+ cats should not eat raw diets. It was the right thing for Dixie. She flourished for three wonderful years in which she had everything I could give her. She had wonderful Christmas trees, every toy a cat could want and more, blankets, beds, and, eventually two houses, one with a wonderful 400 sq. foot sunroom equipped with lots of windows to watch deer, turkey etc through. She suddenly had an abscess on her neck and died within a week or so. My wonderful little lady was on colostrum, lots of veggies chopped into her food (high in Vitamin C), various Standard Process supplements, and other things I got from Betty or Dr. Susan Maier, another holistic vet. She was not vaccinated for anything after the test came back. I do not know how ld she was when she came into my life but I suspect around 3-4 years. I don't know why she was on her own. She had been spayed and had wonderful manners so she may have been dumped. I don't know but I will always be grateful for the time we had together. A month after she left this world, she sent me Copper and two weeks later she sent Thomas. Both of these little guys are FeLV- to the delight of my vets at MAC who were high fiving all over the place when the tests came back. Both of the kittens came from the pine thicket that Dixie and the Royal Princess Kitty Katt came from so we were all concerned. They were extremely small (Copper ran through the links of a chain link fence without even sucking his gut in and he was about 8 weeks old) and, while their mothers gave them the best care, their mothers didn't have the food and care they would have had under ideal conditions. The story of the kittens is wonderful but has nothing to do with your questions. I urge you to find a holistic vet and consult that vet along with your regular vets. Some will consult by phone if you cannot locate one. I do not regret one minute with Dixie Louise. She was a perfectly wonderful little lady who was very protective of me and very attentive. Needless to say, I miss my little lady very much. My heart broke into a thousand pieces or more when she died laying right beside me in the Jeep that took her on many wonderful adventures. I am grateful for my time with her and grateful that she was able to leave this world after leaving the vets and without assistance in a place she always felt safe. She taught me, as did the Royal Princess Kitty Katt, to appreciate the time we have and not look at what may come. Everyone dies and everyone dies from something. The goal is to live well and be happy. Each one has to decide what that means for himself. Blessings to you and your little friends.