Hi Jenny and Mike,
I have LeLV+ girl kitten that I've separated from my 6 other cats once I found
out she was positive.  I know she is not happy being separated either.  She's
in good health and I've been giving her Imulan treatments and she is doing
great.  The problem is I travel so much for my job.  I don't like to leave her
alone while I'm gone so I board her at the vet while I'm gone.  I think this
may be a bit stressful on her.  I would love to find a loving home with a
companion animal.  She's such a happy kitty and gets along well with others. My
other kitties are not too keen on her though, and they are still trying to
determine the alpha male so they fight on occasion with anybody.  I don't think
that is the best place for her.  I live in Tennessee but I'm willing to bring
her to someone that can give her a less stressful life and continue to love her.

Thanks for any help.

Nancy

RE:
Hey,

That's a common forum of debate in this circle.  The best data that I have seen
suggests that approximately 70% of cats exposed to the virus will be able to
mount an immune response capable of irradicating the virus.  If the cats are
vaccinated, this number jumps about 85-90%.  It is not a perfect vaccine but it
does help in certain instances.

Of those cats that are not able to eradicate the virus about half will be able
to suppress the effects and live a largely normal life with a near normal life
span.  The remaining are not capable to controlling the disease, develop
symptoms and generally survive 3-5 years after exposure.

It is a very common cause of death especially in stray cats and is transmitted
through close contact (generally food, water and liter boxes - sometimes
grooming).  The virus is in high numbers in saliva.  For this reason vets are
very cautious when dealing with the virus.  I am of the opinion, however, that
there is a lot more fear in the disease than may be justified.  It is certainly
nothing to ignore, and those of us that have lost loved ones to the disease
understand why, but I think there is a far lower rate of transmission and
disease development that the general vet suggests.

Hope this helps a little.  There are many others in this group that can offer
insight on this subject.  Good luck.

I do have a female cat I have isolated with felv at this point in time and am
looking for a companion for her.  I will help if I can.

Jenny