Lora,
I don't have an positives left, Bailey was my last and I lost him in 2006. I do however have a furkid with HCM and one with CRF & a heart murmur.

I do know that taurine and CoQ-10 are good for the heart and lysine is good over all for the immune system. My cats aren't great about getting pills, so I only give them what they absolutely need. Joey get benazapril and amlodipine for his HCM. Fred gets the same for his high blood pressure and heart murmur, plus he gets potassium supplements and phosphorus binders in his food for his high phosphorus.

They all, all 5 of mine get a vit b shots once a week too, I can get away with giving them that because that is an injection, not a pill.

The only thing I probably wouldn't use is the cranberry, according to the CRF site that I read for answers when Fred is am having problems. This is not a vets site only a person who has been for many, many years collecting info and who has many years of experience with CRF, not only her experiences but a CRF group with over 1200 members and another CRF group she is a member of with over 11,000 members, I am a member of both groups. This site is an accumulation of all those years and members experiences.

This is a quote from that site about cranberry:

*_Cranberry_*

You should avoid giving cranberry or food containing cranberry to CRF cats - it is too acidic for CRF cats, who tend towards acidosis anyway. Cranberries *also contain benzoic acid, which cats lack the pathways to metabolise*. The active ingredient in cranberries is Mannose, so you could consider giving D-Mannose to a cat who is prone to urinary tract infections <http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#UTIs>.

The Boston Globe <http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2005/04/21/growers_pet_project/> reports on the recent trend of adding cranberries to cat food, and has a comment from a vet at Tuft's University School of Veterinary Medicine that there is no evidence that cranberries have the same benefits for cats as they appear to have for humans.

A market analysis of the US pet food industry to determine new opportunities for the cranberry industry <http://www.umassd.edu/cbr/studies/cranbpetfood.pdf> (2005) from the Center for Business Research may help explain why cranberries are suddenly a popular choice as a cat food ingredient.

You can find it on this page:

http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#cranberry

Here is a link to the Boston Globe article:

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2005/04/21/growers_pet_project/

Sounds like you have things very well under control for your furkids!!

--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

http://bemikitties.com