I can see some times where it is either declaw the cat or end its life.....for the safety of an elderly owner for example. That being said, Copper and Thomas have their claws and, with a little planning re furniture, there has been no problem. Dixie and Ebony kept theirs too. Ebony caused some problems but, if I had known then what I know now, I could have limited them. It takes a little work and patience, planning and thinking. I would encourage anyone who wanted a declawed cat to try and get one that has already been declawed.
On Mar 23, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Natalie wrote:

That's horrible, and many people do not realize what it entails and how many cats lose their lives - they think it's a manicure...but many vets are to blame. Several people told me that after adopting from us, they went to their own vet, and after telling them that the cats will be kept indoors only, the vets said "Oh, you have an option to declaw!" Banfield Health. The group at Petsmart, offers a big special for "kitten health" - all the vaccines, exams, and declawing for a very good price! I wrote to them about declawing; they wrote back with the most ridiculous comments. If anyone would like to see their reply, I'll send it privately. Last year, I was informed that they will no longer cut ears and tails on dogs, because it's purely cosmetic...I wrote to them, asking their policy on declawing since they have made that big leap on no longer mutilating dogs, they might have
reconsidered doing it to cats...no reply from them.
O always ask people what they would prefer, a few things scratched up or urine-soaked carpets and furniture.....Besides, not all cats grow up to be scratchers...and providing good posts and trimming their nails works well.

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Edna Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:44 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FW: Keep Cats Indoors

Natalie, I am with you about the declawing. Someone I know adopted two kittens from me and one died on the table during a declaw surgery. Yes, I HAD told her before hand "NO declawing" but people don't listen and they always know best, yadda yadda :( Then they wonder why Buster is peeing on the bed and the floor because his paws hurt so badly from the surgery. SIGH
:(