I deal with ferals too and all of my house cats have been ferals. One cost me two surgeries thanks to biting through a finger...my fault not hers. A lot of older people are on blood thinners, have extremely "thin skin" etc. I've been scratched more times than I can count. Obviously, you have been blessed. I'm in my 50's and recover fairly easily. I know of too many older people without sufficient support who can't recover quickly. I suspect it has to do with the overall health of the individual and the personality of the cat. Personally, I have seen my mother bleed for hours from various (for me) insignificant cuts. As I said, declawing should be the last resort but there are times I feel it is justified.

On Mar 23, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Natalie wrote:

That is true, but I don't understand why an old person can't have a cat with
claws.  Dealing mostly with feral cats, I have never been bitten or
scratched - what's the danger, I am 70 yrs old. And as I said, bites are a
natural defense for declawed cats!

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of MaiMaiPG
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:40 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FW: Keep Cats Indoors

Those may be very reasonable options for a lot of people.  However, I
suspect you overestimate the resources available to everyone.  Not
everyone can drive; not everyone has someone who can/will attempt to
trim a cat's nails; not everyone can afford a trip to the vet's every
2-4 weeks; and not every cat can be rehomed.  Mass transit is not
available everywhere.

I agree that it should be a last resort.  However, I am not willing to
condemn everyone who declaws.