I lost two feral females three days after they were spayed. They were kept up, safe and cared for. They were fine when I checked them the night before. Two wonderful girls, unrelated, spayed at different times by different vets, seemingly very healthy. It is bad enough that they died. It would have been a lot worse had they died after being released....at least from the point of other animals causing even more pain. Maybe the cats would not agree. I won't even bring a cat who has been spayed home for three days now.
On Mar 8, 2012, at 6:58 AM, GRAS wrote:

Believe me, I am 100% onboard with TNR, it’s just not for me. I have tried several times to set-up colonies in Greenwich, but could not get anyone to become responsible caretakers….TNR colonies require really dedicated and responsible people, not part-time do- gooders who have no idea how much work goes into caring for a colony to keep it healthy. And as I said before, I am totally against the immediate release after surgery (spay/neuter, especially in the winter))….but you would be surprised how many keep doing it with horrible results; their philosophy is that even though they lose a few, they’ve done their part!

From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org ] On Behalf Of Sharyl
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 3:37 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] caboodle ranch - other side of the story links

I know others have also responded Natalie about TNR. TNR is one of the best ways of fighting the spread of FeLV. In my experience a positive momma will have positive kittens. Fix the momma and you stop the spread of the disease in a feral colony. I also do TNR and manage 2 feral colonies. The adult males and females are released back after recovery from their surgeries. Males 1 day and females 3-4 days as long as they are doing OK. The kittens I tame and try to adopt out. The only way to combat PETA is to responsibly manage these feral/hard stray colonies. My oldest feral is a 7+ year old male who is only happy outside in his colony. We can't take all these feral/hard strays in but we can give them a healthy, stress free life in their colonies once they have been spayed/neutered. At least that way the population is controlled.

The real problem is feeders who do not TNR. That's how these feral/ hard stray colonies get out of control. Managing these colonies means responsible s/n, feeding and medical treatment when needed.

JMHO
Sharyl