Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 08:37:21 -0400
From: g...@optonline.net
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Giving sub-q fluids

Yes, even the smallest needles work, they just take a lot longer. Sometimes,
when you notice that the drip isn’t fast enough, even though you’ve opened it
up, lift up the skin, or move the needle around.  Often, there’s a
kink/squeezed together on the tube where it was clamped over to shut down.
Move that whole thing up or down, and squeeze open the kink in the tube with
your fingers by kneading it.BTW – 6 months old isn’t exactly tiny – I would go
with a 20….when I had kittens that were only a few weeks old, I used a syringe,
as someone mentioned.  But at this age, you definitely need to give more fluids
than you can get into a syringe. I assume that you need to give at least 100
mL?.If the cat is hard to handle, wrap in a towel, keep on your lap with the
head facing toward your left under arm – that way you can control the cat with
left arm wrapped around with hand at the cats behind, while you use right hand
to keep on top of needle gently so it doesn’t come out if the cat moves.For
really hard to handle cats, I use a “cat bag”; it has zippers and Velcro
everywhere, and you open whatever part of the body you need to expose.From:
felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org