Munchkin, a 5 year old cat I adopted from a neighbor, lived with me for 20
years.  He was neutered before he got either FeLv or FIV fortunately.
At least the neighbor had done that although Munchkin was allowed to
roam the neighborhood.  He was a large, grey with an attitude and was
noticed and admired by everyone. Munchkin didn't get into biting fights
even though he was an outside cat.  I finally retired him to my cat
enclosure for the last 5 years of his life.  Munchkin had many visitors
in his "retirement" home.  Every so often a neighbor would pass by and
ask if Munchkin was still with me and I would invite the person into the back
yard to the cat enclosure where Munchkin would receive his guest
with pride and diplomacy.  When he was around 24+ his kidneys began to
fail and at 25 he passed away.

 Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty
neighbors too!