Sometimes cats just want to be alone ... like people. Other times they don't feel safe.

What kind of litter are you using? My former outside cats like the pine pellets. No perfumes, scent reminds them of the pine thicket they lived in etc. Also extremely easy to dispose of in the country.

You may not be able to see the worms. Can you take a sample to the vet's to have it checked. There are so many kinds of worms and they could be causing the problems.

Try Feliway spray or Cat Nap.

Mine like to play with feathers as well as soft balls, paper sacks etc.