My Awesome Pawsome kitty just began doing this stuff.  Pawing at her mouth,
getting finicky and being standoffish when it comes to anywhere near her food
bowl.  She wasborn to an FeLV+ mom in a feral colony here in San Diego, and I
tamed her at 5 weeks (to 8 weeks--took about 3 weeks) old with her siblings.  3
out of four kittens tested positive.  In a couple of months time, only 1 out of
4 remained positive, and she is the one.  She has been so healthy, save for an
awful case of calici she got about ayear and a half ago which almost killed
her, that I reallyhad been hoping she might still"turn" negative.  I have heard
of this happening this late in the disease.  She has been asymptomatic and so
very "normal" looking for 3 years.  But I think the time I have been dreading
is approaching.  She now has something going on in her mouth, just started last
week and I took her to my vet.  He said she has the early stages of stomatis,
he is fairly sure, though he could find nothing really disconcerting right now
to be worried about, and he gave her a shot of covenia. But at home, I see her
mouth more swollen, and how she sticks out her tongue over and over in obvious
distress of some sort...  and I see it beginning.    I have seen cats with bad
cases of stomatitis and I am fearful for my Pawsome kitty.  For a cat born with
FeLV she has been so good for so long.  People have told me three years is
about tops for the life span of a cat born with FeLV that becomes persistently
viremic, so I guess in that respect she is lucky she has made it so long so
apparently healthy,but I guess she will not be so lucky as to "turn" at this
point in time.  So,I now am bracing myself for mouth problems in her. I wish I
had a lot of money I would investigate that laser treatment for her,but I do
not.  I am in rescue, and I live on SSI, anyway, so between the two I am pretty
broke all the time.  haha  (And I now have a cat with hyperthyroid, one with
fatty liver, one with FeLV+, and one with the beginning stages of an anal sac
problem,which I believe is the case because she is scooting her buns across the
floor alot and cries out jat times while pooping.  And two semi ferals in a
double connected large dog cages, that can not be loose in the apt. that I need
to find something suitable for.... Oh, and I am taking in a 17 yr old from West
LA shelter, next week,as  a favor to another rescue friend, and that one will
need fluids daily, for renal issues  And those are only the sick ones.  What a
sucker I am.)

Anyway, I am, paying close attention to all of this, needless to say.

Love and Katnip,

"I'm Kat Parker.  I park cats."

http://www.facebook.com/kat.theCRITTERprotector