Hi Marcy,

I didn't get your original email, but did see Margo's response.
I seem to be having problems with only receiving some emails since recently
joining this list.

I don't have much experience with FeLV related illnesses yet, but I just wanted
to ask if they ruled out something like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?  Heart
failure could cause fluid, and in that case, steroids should NOT be given.  But
lasix can be given.
Since they already gave him a steroid shot, just keep a good eye on him.

My cat, years ago, was fine one day and then his chest became full of fluid.
His only symptom was that he coughed a tiny bit
as though he had a hairball, and he didn't want to eat his breakfast which was
very out of character for him.  Lasix helped him.
That was his only treatment.  They checked his heart at a later appt. and it
was fine.  Initially they thought FIP, but it wasn't (we did a titer and it was
neg.), and after that incident he was fine and lived many more years!  The vet
didn't want to check the chest fluid at the time because
she had lost a cat doing that once, so she just used lasix.

My theory was that he had a heartworm, and the ivermectin that they gave him
for ear mites  a week prior might have killed the
heartworm, and it broke up and caused the fluid...but will never know for sure.
 This all happened shortly after I adopted him
as an adult cat.

Hope Charles begins to feel better.

Shelley