From: Felvtalk [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Lee
Evans
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:33 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Chicken feathers

This was a long time ago, in the 1950's when there were still private
butchers and my grandmother would buy her chickens from the butcher who
would pluck them there in the store so some feathers were always left on.
Yes, she was from Odessa, Russia and only spoke German and Russian. She
would tell me (in German and broken English) that the coffee was a French
recipe. My grandfather had traveled all the way from France across Europe to
Russia. He was an itinerant philosophy professor and "taught" his way across
Europe at Universities. The French coffee was probably his idea. I was too
young to drink coffee but it was traditional to put some in my milk. Then I
would watch the coffee grains float. I loved my grandmother. She was very
kind to me and I loved visiting her because I could go through the
mysterious wardrobes and inspect the dresses and hats my aunt created. The
building was in an ethnic neighborhood in New York City, the doors were
never locked and people of every color and language were constantly walking
in and out, as were dogs and cats from the area. I picked up a rudimentary
understanding of quite a few languages before I was a teenager. There were
always strangers in the apartment having coffee or a meal and conversations
with my grandmother or my uncle and always some dog or cat being fed in the
hallway.

  _____