I was wondering if anyone has any experience using this yarn, and what
you can tell me about it.  I have been commissioned to make a pair of
reproduction WWII Red Cross pattern army socks--no big deal, but the
person provided this yarn, and I'm unimpressed.

The wrapper calls it 'fingering' but it's higher in yardage and wraps
per inch than most fingering weight yarns--310 yards/283 meters per 50
grams, and about 22 wraps per inch, vs the norm being around 18 for
fingering.

Then the suggested gauge and needles is ridiculous--size 3 US/3.25 mm
for a gauge of 7 sts to the inch/28 sts to 10 cm!  I got that gauge by
knitting VERY loosely, and the fabric is so sleazy as to be unusable,
showing every bit of unbalanced twist in the stitches.  Yuck.

Unfortunately my customer doesn't care, not being a knitter <sigh> so
I'm stuck using this.  It might make good laceweight yarn, but the gauge
information on the band is unreal.  I wouldn't use needles larger than
size 1/2.25 mm, and probably more like size 0/2 mm for anything like a
halfway decent cloth.

Holly

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to