At 01:28 PM 11/22/02 -0500, you wrote:
Then the suggested gauge and needles is ridiculous--size 3 US/3.25 mm
for a gauge of 7 sts to the inch/28 sts to 10 cm!
While I was on the big socknitters list a while back, members discussed this common discrepancy between the gauge on the label vs. "real life" usage for all the common sock yarns we use. It was pointed out that the manufacturer recommended gauge is always for garments, not socks -- even when buying yarns called sock yarns! Socknitters should always expect to use needles 1-2 sizes smaller than those specified on the label and for the gauge to increase proportionately.
As usual from Elaine, these are pearls of wisdom. I recently got a new yarn and tried knitting with the needle size suggested and "sleazy" is the word I would use.

Brucie
In Wyoming where yesterday the high was 65 and today we are getting lots of snow.

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail To restore send: set mail


Reply via email to