While I was on the big socknitters list a while back, members discussed this common discrepancy between the gauge on the label vs. "real life" usage for all the common sock yarns we use. It was pointed out that the manufacturer recommended gauge is always for garments, not socks -- even when buying yarns called sock yarns! Socknitters should always expect to use needles 1-2 sizes smaller than those specified on the label and for the gauge to increase proportionately.Then the suggested gauge and needles is ridiculous--size 3 US/3.25 mm for a gauge of 7 sts to the inch/28 sts to 10 cm!
FWIW, I usually knit my socks from commercial fingering yarns at about 9 st/inch for a firm, hard-wearing fabric. I haven't used Naturespun fingering myself so I can't comment specifically on its quality.
Elaine
----------------------
Elaine Benfatto (Cambridge, MA)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.urbanspinner.com/
To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail To restore send: set mail
