At 4:21 PM -0400 9/25/05, David W. Fenton wrote:

Does anyone hear any significant differences between the two? I can
convince myself that I do, but it seems only psychological.

David --

I can hear a very minor difference, but shouldn't your reasoning include your target audience?

That is, shouldn't you consider whether or not they are the sort of people who would be able to tell the difference, and whether they would care in the context of their reason for listening to the recordings?

Personally I like 160 kbps for importing CDs for my MP3 use, and consider it a good trade-off. I have no idea how that setting would affect files from your sound card, compared to 128 and 192.