On 26 Sep 2005 at 15:40, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2005, at 2:22 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > The difficulty with using the Apple
> > format is that none of my audio programs would probably be able to
> > use it directly to write CDs or make MP3s (other than iTunes
> > itself).
>
> Sure, but if you need to burn to CD, you can use iTunes to convert
> the Apple Lossless files back to WAV as needed.

Well, sure, but with my old slow PC, this is a lot of work. If I make
an audio CD from the WAV files created from MIDI, then I can use that
audio CD to create new WAV files or MP3s as needed, without needing
to depend on Apple's file format at all.

> > I wish I knew what iTunes was doing (beyond
> > normalization, which I do on the WAV files before conversion to MP3,
> > but on a whole work, rather than on individual movements) because
> > I'd love to be able to save it into the MP3 files permanently (like
> > saving HP data in Finale).
>
> Is it possibly the settings in iTunes' mixer? I don't think there's
> any way of writing that into the audio file.

There's a mixer in iTunes? The version I have is 4, and I'm not about
to upgrade to 5, given that I am running Win2K (and iTunes 5 is known
to completely trash Win2K systems when installed).

> > I actually haven't tried creating an MP3
> > with iTunes itself to see if it made a better MP3 -- I should try it
> > (though I'd miss batch conversion).
>
> You can load and convert an entire folder at once in iTunes.

I'll have to experiment with how this works, as it's not obvious to
me from the UI.