On 26 Sep 2005 at 5:14, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> The only thing I would add is that iTunes (the Mac version, at least) 
> includes Apple Lossless, a compression technology that allows full 
> WAV/AIFF quality at half the size. If space is really at a premium, 
> you could try that (provided it's included in iTunes for Windows).

Well, that's worth looking at for storing the files on hard drive, 
but I'm probably going to make audio CDs from the WAV files and then 
delete them from the hard drive. The difficulty with using the Apple 
format is that none of my audio programs would probably be able to 
use it directly to write CDs or make MP3s (other than iTunes itself). 
I refuse to use iTunes to burn CDs because it insists on loading its 
own CD driver service, which I'm not interested in (and which could 
conflict with my existing writable CD support). I use iTunes as 
nothing but an audio player, an in that regard, it's superb -- MP3s 
always sound significantly better played from iTunes than from any 
other player I have. I wish I knew what iTunes was doing (beyond 
normalization, which I do on the WAV files before conversion to MP3, 
but on a whole work, rather than on individual movements) because I'd 
love to be able to save it into the MP3 files permanently (like 
saving HP data in Finale). I actually haven't tried creating an MP3 
with iTunes itself to see if it made a better MP3 -- I should try it 
(though I'd miss batch conversion).

As to the MIDI files, which Dennis suggested archiving and deleting, 
they are so tiny, there's no reason for me to delete them. All the 
MIDI files on my computer don't add up to one of the MP3 files, let 
alone one of the WAV files! And the MIDI files are 1/10 or less the 
size of the corresponding Finale files from which they were 
generated, so I'm definitely going to keep them around.

There's also the possibility of my upgrading my system's hard drive 
storage from 60GBs to 100GBs (I happen to have two unused hard drives 
that I could swap for the existing hard drives), which would help a 
lot, but it's a lot of work to do that. I'm also considering buying a 
new motherboard for my system so that I can get a much faster 
computer. Right now I'm on a tight budget and an entirely new system 
is just not in the cards.

But I'd huge projects like that always eat up more time than I think 
they will, so I'm wary of embarking on that journey if I can avoid 
it.

-- 
David W. Fenton                        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to