On Nov 30, 2005, at 7:19 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

My understanding is that most of the HP printers can only handle heavy paper if it is fed through the straight path (utility tray) and output through the back, rather than out the normal tray.

My secondhand HP 5100 is certainly like this. I have the duplexer, but it is useless if I want to print to heavyweight paper, as it chokes mercilessly on it. I can resort to manual duplex if I need it, but if I had known that before I might have saved myself a bundle on the duplexer, which is only good with regular-weight paper. I can't even use a normal feed tray with my heavy part paper; I have to feed it straight in through the front.

This has been my experience as well - on an HP 5000N. Even medium weight letter size paper will jam often in the duplexer. It works pretty well with lighter stock. Heavy paper works fine from the utility tray. I use that all the time for 9.5 x 12.5 inch heavy paper for parts without a problem.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836