On Jun 21, 2007, at 2:23 AM, Mark D Lew wrote:


On Jun 20, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I recently did a rather conservative hymn-like choral setting, and adding a extra eighth note to one of the verses (multiple verses stacked below one staff) proved to be a real kludge in Finale! The extra eighth note was reduced in size, you see, and the syllable kept reducing with it .....

Lyrics attached to reduced notes comes up a lot with ornaments and cadenzas, too. That why I got in the habit of using fixed size for lyrics. Unfortunately that means giving up half-point sizes. I really like lyrics in 10.5 pt, but you can't get that with fixed size. It's silly. Why must fractional sizes be unavailable?

I thought of that, but I had a score and an extracted choral part, so the lyrics in fixed size would have been way too big in the score, or way too small in the part. Extracting the choral part in the old- fashioned way would have permitted different fixed lyric size with the score, but as soon as there were any changes I would have had re- extraction, re-formatting, etc. to do. I don't know if everyone is like me, but it takes me easily four times as long to lay out a choral part as it does for an instrumental part.

What I eventually did (thanks to someone on the list; I forget who now) was to attach the lyrics to a hidden layer at full size. I still had to adjust hyphens and lyric extension lines and drag some beats around, but that was small compared to the alternatives.

Christopher



_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to