Christopher Smith wrote:
[snip]> I recently did a rather conservative hymn-like choral setting, and
adding a extra eighth note to one of the verses (multiple verses stacked below one staff) proved to be a real kludge in Finale! The extra eighth note was reduced in size, you see, and the syllable kept reducing with it, and if I put it in another layer Finale thought it was a melisma and added an extension line, and the hyphen didn't work... arrggh! I really didn't expect to get so hung up on such a simple departure from the norm. I can only imagine what people like jef chippewa and Dennis B-K go through on a regular basis.

[snip]

I would like to interject into this conversation an observation I have made with the help of private message exchange with Bob Morabito (thank you, Bob!)

Bob had asked for support in making a claim for improvement of Finale's midi import, specifically when a single-instrument file such as a piano work is imported, Finale misrepresents the rhythms when additional voices enter (adding extra note-on/note-off messages for what are sustained notes in the midi file). I never import such files and have never run into this problem but he pointed out to me how important the numbers of complainers are when MakeMusic prioritizes its list of bug-fixes/new-features/improvements to work on for the next version. He convinced me that I was being narrow minded in my "it doesn't affect me so what do I care" attitude as well as in my "MakeMusic doesn't really give a damn about what we want so why bother" attitude. So I added my name to those asking for the improvement Bob wanted. I hope it gets enacted.

The observation I made fits in very well with Christopher's point that many of us need features only rarely, but when we need them we really need them, and quite often it is the deciding point on whether or not we can earn income. I realize that many on this list do not use Finale to generate income by engraving music for clients, but it is important for all of us to remember that many of us do (or try to and would like to do more).

The observation -- we all need to support each other in requesting new features or bug-fixes or improvements because MakeMusic prioritizes its list of such things to work on based on numbers of users who have requested them. I'm sure there are other internal forces at work in prioritizing such a list, but if only one person requests something they don't even bother discussing it, I'm sure.

MakeMusic has simplified (thank goodness!) the on-line tech-support process, so it is very easy to submit feature-requests, bug-fix requests, bug reports, whatever.

Anybody who is having any problem with any aspect of Finale, whether it's because you want a new feature to simplify some process, or you want a new feature which has been lacking, or you want some bug fixed, should immediately contact the tech support people and add your voice to those clamoring for something.

And since we are all a big group of friends with a common interest (sometimes fractious but always friends, I hope) it would be an act of kindness to add your name to the list of people requesting a new feature or a bug fix whenever someone complains about it on this list. It takes all of about 2 minutes to submit the claim and the more people who ask for something the faster it might get acted on.

So even though I have no quarrels with Finale's lack of graphical score or circular/spiral score capability, see how important it is to some on this list, most notably Dennis this time around although others have complained about the lack in the past, I filed a feature request.

One person complaining can easily be ignored by makemusic -- 500 people doing so is harder to ignore.

And since for many of us Finale is already at a level where it can do what we need it to do most of the time, having the development team spend time on spiral/circular/graphical scores (knowing that some people will benefit) is much more beneficial than having them add some new non-functional sales-oriented feature such as micnotator or the inclusion of BIAB harmonizer or MYBAC rhythm generator, neither of which have ever been used by me other than to see what they could do. But I don't mind their inclusion because I do know that some people put them to great use, just as some people will put the circular/spiral/graphical score feature to great use, should it ever be included in Finale.

So out of kindness, add your voices to others' feature requests, and remember that MakeMusic does not monitor this list officially so any suggestions/complaints/bugs mentioned here stay here and if we want MakeMusic to act on anything we have to report it to MakeMusic officially through their web-site.

--
David H. Bailey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to