On Jun 21, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Lon Price wrote:

I think the biggest problem with working the way I do is the tendency to write only what can be rendered satisfactorily in Finale or Digital Performer. In other words, I sometimes feel that my writing tends to be too "safe." When I listen to other composers that I admire, such as Maria Newman, or my former composition teacher, Erica Muhl, (both are quite a bit younger than me, BTW) their writing is much more adventurous, because they're writing for the real instruments, rather than a MIDI imitation of those instruments. I'm afraid that young aspiring composers are often falling into this trap without any realization that they're doing it.

Oh yeah! That's for sure! I can't tell you how many young writers think that strings can only play mid-range whole notes, because that's what their synth string patches sound good playing.

Or that brass can only play short stabs, in the highest octave, and are incapable of playing lyrically (well, some players ARE like that!)

Or that a snare drum can't get any kind of sound other than a heavy rim shot.

I could go on for a while, but I'm procrastinating working...

Christopher