As long as we are bouncing around among the theoretical, the practical, the evidence, and the interpretation of evidence, may I mention a matter that everyone seems to have been overlooking amid all the rhetoric (and yes, including my own!).

Modern performances with one singer on a part do not use young boys whose voices have not changed, or young university men whose voices have not been thoroughly trained. At least that is true of every example I have heard. In fact, every example I've heard has been recorded with highly trained, professional singers with well developed voices which project and can, with only four of them, fill a small hall over a small orchestra quite adequately. (I would call them "opera singers," but I don't want to suggest their skills are limited to that one genre at all.) One of the basses I've heard on such recordings was Jan Opalach, a very fine and very well trained professional bass even when I worked with him at Indiana in the mid-'70s.

BACH DID NOT USE OPERA SINGERS, or professional singers of any kind!!!! He couldn't. He didn't have access to such singers. He had what he had, and the best of them at any given time were his soloists.

Let me hear good modern performances using the EXACT forces Bach had access to and not gussied up with professional soloists, nor rebalanced in the recording process, and I will readily concede that such performances were POSSIBLE. That has no bearing at all on whether they were what actually happened, some of the time or even all of the time, which still rests on the interpretation of a large amount of evidence.

(As to the comparison of Leipzig with Dresden, I would assume that the Dresden court DID have professional singers, unlike the Leipzig churches.)

John

P.S.  Can anyone remember what the original question on this thread was?


--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240
Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to