On 05.12.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
It just shows very well the underlaying problem: Finale's complete
> dependence on screen or print resolution for its "wysiwyg".
Er, how could it not be? If you're laying out for print, the
capabilities of the printer that you've got set up as the output
destination is definitely involved in determining how what's onscreen
relates to the printed out put. The exact resolution of the printer
controls how adjustments onscreen get translated into printed output.
For example, if you're viewing at 100%, a 1-pixel nudge onscreen may
be (approximately) a 6-pixel nudge on the printed page if you're
printing at 600dpi, and a 12-pixel nudge if printing at 1200dpi
(that's assuming the Windows default of 96dpi). Some printers have
different horizontal and vertical resolutions, so the nudges onscreen
will map differently vertically and horizontally.
I think you have partly misunderstood what I am saying. Here is the
problem again:
At resolutions up to about 155% Engraver slurs mostly behave as they
should. When printed, they often misbehave when they don't at 155%.
However, when viewed at 200% I often (but not always) see the same
problems I see in printout.
The work around is to display the page in 155%, and in the smart shape
tool "select all" then "arrow up"-"arrow down". That fixes the slurs
exactly where they display at 155%. Now if I got to 200% they are still
ok and as they should be, and they also print fine.
This is definitely not real wysiwyg. If it was, it would be the same for
all resolutions and printout. Whether this would be the defective
version or the correct version is yet another question. My preference
would be the correct version. But anything is better than perfect slurs
which print out wrong (tips crashing into staff lines, highly arched,
asymetric slurs, slurs moved half a mile away from the notes etc.).
Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale