Ha! Dead simple, once I know what I'm doing! Darcy, you are the man!

I had used the Manage Parts dialogue settings Darcy had mentioned, but I hadn't realised I needed to apply Blank Notation with Rests to get the results I needed when there was a solo. I was able to easily hide the "I." expression in the first part that had to show up in the score.

Thanks to Robert P as well, but with Darcy's Staff Styles solution, I didn't have to plan much at all. Now that I have gotten comfortable with it, I see many advantages to having Staff Styles different in the parts than the score.

This was my first time with voiced parts and I must say, I am suitably impressed!

The only thing is they are a bit fussy to set up, especially if I have a lot of them, as I did with this score. It would be nice if the dialogue box remembered my last settings.

I notice that the default part settings seem to be nicer in the 2008a update. Not much to dick with there.

I'm flyin'!

Christopher

(I'll be checking for some of the other bugs that had been preventing me before from using 2008 once this project is over. So far, so good, and I haven't run into any file corruption yet, but the week is still young!)


On Dec 9, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Hi Chris,

1) To hide the Clar. 1 solo in the Clar. 2 part, apply the "Blank Notation With Rests" staff style in in the Clar. 2 part, then update the multimeasure rests. (Since your score was created in Fin2003, you will need to create this staff style from scratch, or load it as a library.)

As for the Manage Parts dialog, the settings you want are "Selected Notes from One or More Layers," and then "Top Note" and/or "Layer 1" for Clar. 1; "Bottom Note" and/or "Layer 2" for Clar. 2. This gives you the results you want -- Clar. 2 will inherit the bottom note of all dyads *or* Layer 2 when there are multiple layers.

Just be careful of cue notes -- you cannot have cue notes (in, say, Layer 4) in the same measure as real notes using this method.

2) Group names are automatically unlinked. Just to the Harp part, switch to Scroll View, and edit the group attributes to not show the group name. (It will still display in the score.)

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY



On 9 Dec 2007, at 9:44 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

Okay, I'm back to FinMac 2008a now, confident that the bugs that prevented me from doing useful work are now eliminated.

However a couple of things have cropped up that I don't remember seeing before (how can this be?)

I have a score created in 2003 that I am updating in 2008a. In the Manage Parts dialogue I created the parts all at once, no problem. I even created voiced parts (Clar 1 and 2 on one staff in the score become separate parts) though I had to do them one at a time (any easier way to do that in a bunch?) and I couldn't leave a Clar 1 solo off the the Clar 2 part. I see that if I had Clar 1 entirely and alone in Layer 1, with Clar 2 entirely and alone in Layer 2, then I could do it, but I often have them sharing stems in the same layer. So am I out of luck?

Also I have a harp part. The harp group name shows up on the linked part beside every system. Any way to hide that only in the linked part?

Thanks in advance.

Christopher

(The enharmonic flip bug in Speedy seems to be gone, AFAICT. Whee!)

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to