David W. Fenton wrote:
On 10 Dec 2008 at 11:27, John Howell wrote:

I've actually run into that very thing in Broadway books, specifically in "The King & I." I was asked to make a cut at a certain point in a certain number, discovered that some parts had repeated bars (and LONG endings!) while others did not, and it probably took us at least 15-20 minutes to solve that stupid problem. It probably saved the copyist something like 10 minutes work, and has been plaguing musical directors and wasting time in the pit ever since!

And yet, in the 18th and early 19th century, this was incredibly common in both MSS music and in printed editions. For both, it may not have been a matter of saving copying/engraving time, but of saving paper, which was relatively more expensive than paying the copyist/engraver.

Of course, it's also the case that a lot of old sources that were clearly used have uncorrected errors in them (wrong notes, even missing measures), so it's unclear to me how they managed to use them.

I'm certainly not arguing for the practice, just pointing out that there was once a time when the balance of rehearsal time vs. savings came out, apparently, differently.

I think that in the time period of which you are speaking there was much more consistency of form and of expectations from the musicians. They sort of knew where to go and when, sort of the way jazz musicians know when playing from a head arrangement.

In a common "language" it's easy to use abbreviations which get everybody to the same place at the same time even if by different routes.

It's only when such commonality is lost that confusion begins to set in and valuable rehearsal time is lost.

Heck, even with Strauss waltzes when they have the same first/second endings in all the parts, people get confused about where to go back to when, from which D.S., etc. simply because as a general rule people these days aren't used to playing that sort of convoluted form. But I'm sure Strauss's musicians had no problem with such things, even when presented with a new waltz.

--
David H. Bailey