Haha, since I inadvertently started this interesting debate I dare to
comment it :-)

My original situation was quite simple - a big band arrangement with an
open 32 -bar section for solos. All repeats but the last are identical. No
backgrounds or anything in this particular solo section (there are
others)to take into consideration. Only little problem is that the last
chord needs to be different in the last turn...so therefore the pi/g/b
needs to have this written out so they can lead harmonically to the next
section after the open solo. I selected different endings, with the
obvious drawback that all other parts gets it too even though there are no
differences for them. So that was my question: what is the advice from a
notational perspective to make this look good.

I fully agree and understand that all players should have the same roadmap
so that is how it looks now and I am pleased with the structure. And I
appreciate as always all the useful views on things like this with all the
experience that exists in this forum. Next time I might however consider
to do it even simpler: why not write in the last chord for the rhythm
section: G7(b9) / Last X: Bb13. Well, it might not be better either :-|
Need to think about that.

But to comment on the general discussion about repeats being outdated: for
solo sections they are still a must. And as a musician myself I can also
get a little frustrated sometimes that from the old
"complex-repeat-structure-to-save-paper-and-time" to the new era of
"copy-paste-everything-since-this-is-done-on-a-computer!". When I get a
part with 6 pages and realize that with some proper planning and structure
with simple and effective repeats and D.S. markings you could have it in 3
it feels like a waste of page-turning, paper and hassle. Not to mention
the fact that if you need to make a pencil marking for whatever reason in
a certain place and the identical section (and need for pencil marking)
comes 3 more times in the same part...then note that this is also time
consuming and potentially erroneous especially if you miss to identify any
identical section.

So I guess as always: the keyword must be *balance*. Try to avoid repeats
and D.S.-markings etc if omitting them makes the picture clearer. But use
them if they are reasonably obvious and efficient and especially if the
alternative would be to do unnecessary and lengthy copy-paste stuff.

Just my $0.02

/D