Ryan wrote:

>I think part of the issue is that treble clef is used with the
>properties of the treble8. There's no distinction made between the two
>and the tenor voice is essentially treated as a transposing instrument
>(sounding an octave lower). That practice is used numerous times for
>solo tenor voices in art songs and even in opera scores.

It's true that this practice is not uncommon, but some follow-up about opera
scores:

I can't recall it mentioned in this thread yet, but there are various ways to
indicate that a treble clef sounds 8vb below. The little "8" below the clef I
think is a relatively modern development, and I think it's only with the advent
of digital engraving that it has really become standard. Much more common in
opera scores is the treble clef with a pair of squiggles to the right that look
like a shorthand bracket. This is standard in Ricordi's scores and variations
are used by other publishers. (It's also what I routinely use when I'm
hand-writing for tenor.)

Other publishers use just the plain unadorned treble clef, trusting you to know
whether the voice is male or female. I haven't examined carefully -- I'm away
from home now and can't check my scores -- but my general sense is these tend
to be the English and German publishers. One of them is G Schirmer, whose opera
scores are now the most commonly used in the United States, which I think leads
us to imagine it's more standard "even in opera scores" than it is.

G Schirmer re-copied most of its opera vocal scores, but some are adapted from
the original plates from Ricordi/Breitkopf/Novello. The treble-8vb clef for
tenor is one way to tell at a glance which it is. In general, Schirmer's own
editions are less accurate, and a couple of the standards are quite bad (eg,
Traviata, Pagliacci). Indeed, this reminds me. Near the beginning of Pagliacci
there is a stray line for chorus tenors which is not clearly labeled. Since
it's in treble clef with no further indication, many an amateur company has
rehearsed it for sopranos before someone notices the error from a recording.

mdl