Steve Larsen wrote:

>I'm not aware of any time or place that notated the tenor part in bass clef
>when using a separate staff.

Agreed.

I've seen a ton of opera and choral scores from 17th century to 20th, and I've
never seen this. Choral tenors are combined with the basses in a bass clef when
SATB is put into two staves hymnbook-style. Otherwise tenors are on the
octave-below treble clef, either marked or unmarked. Unless you go back even
earlier, in which case all chorus parts are in movable C clefs. But never tenor
in a bass clef.

(There is, incidentally, some small tradition of the reverse -- ie, writing
baritone parts in the 8vb treble clef -- particularly in English music in the
late 19th and early 20th century. You'll see this in Vaughn Williams' scores,
for example.)

mdl