At 1:02 PM -0700 9/15/11, Mark D Lew wrote:

>I can't recall it mentioned in this thread yet,
>but there are various ways to indicate that a
>treble clef sounds 8vb below. The little "8"
>below the clef I think is a relatively modern
>development, and I think it's only with the
>advent of digital engraving that it has really
>become standard. Much more common in opera
>scores is the treble clef with a pair of
>squiggles to the right that look like a
>shorthand bracket.

Yes, the "little 8" is recent, and may have been
used first in scores for recorder ensembles,
before digital engraving became a personal
endeavor, with the octave-higher indication for
soprano (descant) and bass recorders.  (Recorders
actually sound at 4' pitch, an octave above the
voice parts they're named for, but the
conventional notation for alto and tenor obscures
that fact.)

The G-clef + Bracket you mention I've never seen
in opera scores, but have seen in choral music.
The idea was to clarify that middle C was on the
3rd space (and thus an octave below the regular G
clef), but it always looked odd because ALL the
clefs have always been attached to lines, not to
spaces, for the last thousand years.

Another method--and it may have been Novello--was
to use two treble clefs side by side, presumably
assuming that they would weight twice as much as
a single treble clef and thus sink down an octave
in pitch!!

The "little-8" notation is by far the most exact
(and in theory should be used for piccolo, string
bass, guitar and bass guitar parts, but there's
too much tradition behind the conventional
notation for those instruments).  It makes the
other attempts to find a solution look pretty
dated.  And with the dying out of the movable C
clefs in general use and in music education
(except for the instruments that have retained
them as standard) it's probably the best
compromise by far.  (If our original poster were
playing from string quartet scores, he would
almost certainly be complaining about having the
viola in alto clef!)

Broadway piano-vocal scores are even worse than
opera scores, since plain treble clef is almost
always used regardless of the voice called for.
In fact you sometimes can't even figure out which
octave is intended, and it's easy to make a
decision that's different from what was done with
the original cast.

We've got the same problem with late medieval
music (for those few of us who actually care!).
Hildegard's wonderful 12th century music was
notated in a way that LOOKS as if it's for men's
voices.  (The church developed the notation,
women weren't allowed to sing in church, so there
was NO notation suitable for women's voice!)
When the group "Anonymous 4" sings the repertoire
with women's voices they are not singing in the
notated octaves, or maybe even with the notated
pitches, because they've adapted the music to
their own voices.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms