Raymond Horton wrote:

>I do recall a small publishing company (name forgotten) in the 1980's that
>put out some SATB church anthems printed with Treb,Treb,Bs,Bs clefs, and it
>WAS particularly easy to play those  on piano (these particular anthems had
>conservative ranges, so the leger lines were not excessive) but those
>publications would be considered an aberration in any case.

As a frequent rehearsal accompanist, I've had the opposite experience. SATB on
four staves with the tenor on treble-8vb is so standard that I'm used to it and
playing the four parts is second nature. Every now and then I'll stumble upon a
solo ensemble with two basses and two women, and when I try to play those I'm
constantly screwing up because my brain wants the upper bass clef to be a
treble-8vb clef.

>I think the main reason I was sympathizing with the original poster is that
>I remember reading some late letters of Arnold Schoenberg written during the
>time he was composing his final (and unfinished) opera "Moses und Aron."  He
>complained about the (new) 8ba treble clef, said that he found it
>distracting to try to write in it and said he would have to write the tenor
>part initially in the traditional tenor clef and change it later.  (I am
>paraphrasing after reading this in 1975, but I think I have it for the most
>part).

Well, I suppose it depends on what you're used to. My experience is
overwhelmingly choral/vocal, and I only occasionally dabble in orchestra.
Perhaps I shouldn't admit it on this list, but when I write for a string
quartet, I always put the viola on a treble-8vb clef while I'm working on it
and then move it afterward.

mdl