Neal, the "redraw screen" is not do anything either.  I have restarted
Finale, restarted the computer, Everything.

Maybe using the expressions tool IS the best way for this, since text block
seems to be disabled.  Trouble is, it's only disabled part of the time.
Using the measure attached text blocks is WAY easier, since it's just point
and type right where you want them, and no fussing around with open the
tool, type the text, two separate clicks to say OK, and then select, and
then move it around.  And typing the text into those tiny little boxes
makes it difficult for me since my vision is not that great these days.
 It's NOt the way I want to do it, and the old method is theoretically
available to use (the text tool is there, the pull down says I can attach
to measure, and none of it works.)

 Also I really don't think the screen is redrawing.    None of the commands
for "redraw screen" (including doing it from the tool bar) do anything at
all.  In the past, when the "redraw screen" happened, you could actually
see the screen redraw.

I'm using latest mac Air and Mountain Lion OS (10.8.1).  Recently upgraded
from my macPro (10.4) and Finale 2010. New Finale seems fine in spite of
renaming and repositioning some of the tools and procedures. I can deal
with changes, But this problem never occurred with my old setup and
software.  Grrrrrr.

How do I complain to Make Music?

And thanks for your suggestions.  I'm glad it works for you, but it's
hangin' me up!

Thanks for your efforts to help.  Much appreciated.

Linda