From: Fis [mailto:fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es] On Behalf Of Loet Leydesdorff
Sent: June 26, 2015 7:34 PM
To: 'Marcus Abundis'; 'fis'
Subject: Re: [Fis] It-from-Bit and information interpretation of QM

Dear Marcus and colleagues,

Katherine Hayles (1990, pp. 59f.) compared this discussion about the definition
of “information” with asking whether a glass is half empty or half full.
Shannon-type information is a measure of the variation or uncertainty, whereas
Bateson’s “difference which makes a difference” presumes a system of reference
for which the information can make a difference and thus be meaningful.

In my opinion, the advantage of measuring uncertainty in bits cannot be
underestimated, since the operationalization and the measurement provide
avenues to hypothesis testing and thus control of speculation (Theil, 1972).
However, the semantic confusion can also be solved by using the words
“uncertainty” or “probabilistic entropy” when Shannon-type information is meant.

I note that “a difference which makes a difference” cannot so easily be
measured. ☺ I agree that it is more precise to speak of “meaningful
information” in that case. The meaning has to be specified in the system of
reference (e.g., physics and/or biology).

Best,
Loet

Hayles, N. K. (1990). Chaos Bound; Orderly Disorder in Contemporary Literature
and Science Ithaca, etc.: Cornell University.
Theil, H. (1972). Statistical Decomposition Analysis. Amsterdam/ London:
North-Holland.

Loet Leydesdorff
Emeritus University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)
l...@leydesdorff.net <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> University of Sussex;
Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ.<http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/>, Hangzhou;
Visiting Professor, ISTIC, <http://www.istic.ac.cn/Eng/brief_en.html> Beijing;