Chris, thanks for your speedy reply (I guess that if I was going to get
a reply at 8.30 in the morning UK time it would have been from Australia!)

Like I said in my initial post, I'm completely new to Actionscript (and
all of Flash, really)
and so your response, whilst I am sure it is the correct answer, is a
bit cryptic to me. Could you maybe flesh out your reply with a bit of
'idiot guide' stuff so that I can take it and run with it?

Many many thanks.

--
Rick Lecoat