> > Just pick a version and stick with it. You don't have to upgrade
> > Eclipse.
>
> Right, except in a case like this memory problem, you did say when we
> were trying to troubleshoot my problems:

Well, that's no different from any other upgrade, though. If
Dreamweaver CS4 works better than Dreamweaver CS3, I can upgrade or
not, right? And it'll have to go through the same approval process, I
would think, right?

In any case, I strongly suspect that your Tivoli package was the
problem. Perhaps it didn't set environment variables properly, or
something. I've never had memory problems with Eclipse, from 3.2 to
the current version - the only reason I've upgraded is because Eclipse
itself has added new, useful features.

> Another part of the problem, is that its open sourced (security risk,
> unknown and unfamiliar vendors).

Open source is a security risk? Really? That's just a bizarre
statement to make. I grant you that there's no one you can sue, but
Eclipse is a known quantity, and it's used in environments that I can
guarantee with certainty are as secure as yours.

> Also its essentially two applications working together for a single user
> experience. Trying to explain that to the people doing the review and
> packaging was difficult to say the least, especially when I didn't really
> understand how it works - we eventually got it approved, but because
> of those two reasons, it took a lot longer than if it was just say,
> Photoshop CS4.

If you were using the integrated install option, I don't know why
you'd have to bother telling them anything other than "it's
FlexBuilder 3". From the end-user's perspective, when you install it
with the integrated installer, there's no clear separation between
FlexBuilder and Eclipse - you just run setup.exe and click next over
and over again just like any other Windows application, and all the
files get dumped in one directory.

I prefer installing FlexBuilder as an Eclipse plugin because I'm
already using Eclipse. But if that's not the case, you really don't
have to worry about it.

> OK, I don't know why I'm still defending myself and talking about it. :)

Me neither, except in the hope that it'll be helpful to someone. I can
only ask you to remember the glory that was FlexBuilder 1.0. Yecch.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/