----- Original Message -----
From: "brucewhealton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:40 AM
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Couple questions

> Well, it seems to me that a slide presentation need not look like and
> behave just like Powerpoint, right?  That just occurred to me while I
> was reading the messages here.  Perhaps all that is needed is an
> existing component with the ability to move from one display to the
> next, one slide as it were.

Making a slide show type program is fairly easy.

> It might be a great deal of work though
> to make the component look nice, like one might see with Powerpoint
> applications.
> What do you think?

LOL depends what you mean by "nice".

The strength of powerpoint is in laying out screen components on a page with
good control over their appearance and the availability of canned
transformations and effects to add interest. That coupled with an ability to
use layout templates and control how a presentation plays back and can be
printed out makes Powerpoint what it is.

Replicating all that in Flex is a lot of work. Making something similar is
certainly doable. Making a tool that does a targetted subset of that is very
doable, but it won't be powerpoint.

Most of the thread has concentrated on converting powerpoint slides to run
in flash, which is a completely different proposition from making a
powerpoint-like tool in flex.

What exactly are your goals here?

Paul