Have you tried; This is using flex 4, the following workaround;
Where the image would be the same size as the container
<mx:Image id="backgroundImage"   styleName="backgroundImage"
alpha=".8" source="{backgroundImage.getStyle('source')}"
maintainAspectRatio="false"/>

then in the CSS, you add the following;
mx|Image.backgroundImage{
        source: Embed("/assets/images/someimage.png");
        width:580;
        height:246;
        x:114;
        y:161;
        border: 1px green solid;
}

You can extend bordercontainer and add code to handle a style change;
public override function styleChanged(styleProp:String):void {
// code to handle element properties and not just styles
// such as x, y, height and width handled in css
}

If you need code example, then just write back to me and I will supply with
what you need, as time permits.