I do not believe Tim's experience is either normal or universal. On the other hand, if you are adversely impacted by very wide 1/f noise of the soundcard, turn spur reduction off. This will keep that noise from being visible. It is still there, just hidden. Possibly it is not clear to you what that green stripe means on the panadapter. That is where the brick wall filter is applied. If you see the "hump on the left" get to within (oh say) 1 Khz of that green bar, then you have a problem. The response of that filter is down oh, about 140 dB or so outside its main lobe where that stuff is on the left. (whats a small thing like 140 dB down from -110 dBm going to do to you anyway?). I suggest that we could improve the the feel of this slightly by swapping to the other side of zero and moving the "small hump" to the right when we are LSB modes. This would be a cosmetic and psychological improvement ONLY unless you have a problem with your system (ground loops, etc.).

THIS is why I insisted on the limitation to the panadapter window size because there was always going to be a few who had ground loop problems and in the early days we did not have these good sound cards at our disposal. That said, it is clear that even the good ones can have a problem. I just didn't want to deal with the questions ;-). As a group, we all have learned a lot and no one has learned more about all of this than me: thank you for letting me have this learning experience.

Bob

Jiri Sanda wrote:

I do not understand ?
If the transmitted noise get so much worse when "spur. reduction" is on why is it there at all ? What positive it does ?

73 !

Jiri
OK1RI