OK Bob,

it clears the topic - thanks.

We have to wait for an upgrade to some newer chip....

73 !

Jiri
Ok1RI

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Robert McGwier wrote:

There is a lot of confusion here.  Let me attempt to straighten it out.

1) The extra noise occurs (as the original note said) when SPUR REDUCTION IS <<<OFF>>>. This is because the hardware is tuned EVERY time the dial is changed. 2) Spur reduction ON, does NOT move the spur out of band. It does something quite different and clever. There are "good frequencies" where the spur generation which is caused by truncation of the phase word and by the number of bits that can be applied to the DAC are minimized. If you are not on the good frequencies the phase accumulator has fractional parts that are not exact values to give the DAC in the synthesizer. This leads to "walking on and off" an exact DAC value in the DDS. This "walking on and off" of the good points is a periodic process and and because the amplitude and phase are just a little off when you are not exactly on a table phase (DAC bits are nonzero but the rest are zero), this little bit of amplitude and phase distortion generated spurs. Spur reduction recognizes this process and limits the HARDWARE DDS oscillator settings to these good frequencies. The remainder of the tuning is then done in the "perfect" software oscillator inside the code. So when spur reduction is ON, and the frequency request changes by 3051.7578125 Hz from one of these good frequencies, we move the hardware frequency only then. This approach has pluses and minuses but it is felt the pusses outweigh the minuses.

You can still hear spurs from the DDS but these are due to DAC nonlinearities and clock leakage and mixing in the AD9854. These are almost gone in the AD9954 and really gone in the AD9958.

Analog is learning along with the rest of us.

Bob
N4HY

Jiri Sanda wrote:

OK - so if I understand it well one should run it without the reduction unless there is a problem - a spur audible - and than switching on might help ?

73 !

Jiri
OK1RI