I'm seeing something strange which has me puzzled...

If, when on 6 meters, I turn Spur Reduction OFF (and set my Clock Offset to
'0'), I see a picket-fence of spurs whose spacing becomes smaller and
smaller as I tune until, at 50.011625 MHz, the picket-fence disappears
altogether and the spectrum on the panadapter looks spur-free (except for an
itsy-bitsy one at -108dB/-8200 Hz).

I'm assuming the IF frequency is 11625 Hz, so my tuning frequency at this
point would actually correspond to the DDS IC set to exactly 50 MHz, (i.e.
an FTW of 0x400000000000 for the 9854).

What's strange is that, if I turn Spur Reduction ON, as I tune around this
frequency I *never* see a Spectrum that looks as clean as the one that I see
at 50.011625 MHz with Spur Reduction OFF.  In other words, it almosts seems
that the DDS's FTW is never set to 0x400000000000, otherwise, I would expect
to see a "tuning block" that's about 3052 Hz wide that has this clean
spectrum, but...I never seem to see it.

Just wondering if anyone can help explain what I'm seeing (or not seeing).

Thanks & 73,

- Jeff, WA6AHL

P.S.  Even with spur reduction ON, there are quite a few spurs in this
region of 6 meters (ditto on 10).  Per my understanding of DDS chips, even
though the phase-accumulator is hitting its marks with no phase "remainder"
bits (i.e. only the top 4 nibbles of the 9854's 48-bit word are non-zero),
quantization introduced by the phase-to-amplitude converter (e.g. the 12-bit
approximation of Sin(0.0054931640625 degrees) ) also creates spurs.  Is this
amplitude-quantization the source of the spurs that I see around 50.011625
MHz when I tune with Spur Reduction ON (rather than mixing-products or DAC
non-linearities)?