N4HY would probably be the a good expert to answer the questions in your
PS.  Let me clear up a few things from the body.  The IF we use is
11,025Hz.  However, I'm fairly certain the extra 600Hz can be attributed
to being in CW mode where the DDS is tuned "CW Pitch" amount up or down
from the VFO depending on whether you're in CWL or CWU.

I would have to put debug in the console to see what the actual tuning
words are that are being sent, but I am confident that the spur
reduction technique works well.  Note that the algorithm requires
clearing some low order bits and setting at least one bit.  This could
be why you don't get exactly 0x400000000000.

I don't remember where we got the description for the spur reduction,
but I'm sure either K5SDR or N4HY could help us dig it up for your
reference.

Now, as stated before, there are multiple kinds of spurs, and you have
just found the worst lot of them.  This is because tuning to 50MHz on
the DDS (VFO = 50.011025 in SSB -- 50.011625 in CWU) is exactly 1/4 the
200MHz oscillator and mixing products result.  I'll let the experts
explain why this is the case.  :)

Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems

Offset
> '0'), I see a picket-fence of spurs whose spacing becomes smaller and
> smaller as I tune until, at 50.011625 MHz, the picket-fence disappears
> altogether and the spectrum on the panadapter looks spur-free (except
for
> an
> itsy-bitsy one at -108dB/-8200 Hz).
>
> I'm assuming the IF frequency is 11625 Hz, so my tuning frequency at
this
> point would actually correspond to the DDS IC set to exactly 50 MHz,
(i.e.
> an FTW of 0x400000000000 for the 9854).
>
> What's strange is that, if I turn Spur Reduction ON, as I tune around
this
> frequency I *never* see a Spectrum that looks as clean as the one that
> see
> at 50.011625 MHz with Spur Reduction OFF.  In other words, it almosts
> seems
> that the DDS's FTW is never set to 0x400000000000, otherwise, I would
> expect
> to see a "tuning block" that's about 3052 Hz wide that has this clean
> spectrum, but...I never seem to see it.
>
> Just wondering if anyone can help explain what I'm seeing (or not
seeing).

> Thanks & 73,
>
> - Jeff, WA6AHL
>
> P.S.  Even with spur reduction ON, there are quite a few spurs in this
> region of 6 meters (ditto on 10).  Per my understanding of DDS chips,
even
> though the phase-accumulator is hitting its marks with no phase
> "remainder"
> bits (i.e. only the top 4 nibbles of the 9854's 48-bit word are
non-zero),
> quantization introduced by the phase-to-amplitude converter (e.g. the
12-
> bit
> approximation of Sin(0.0054931640625 degrees) ) also creates spurs.
Is
> this
> amplitude-quantization the source of the spurs that I see around
50.011625
> MHz when I tune with Spur Reduction ON (rather than mixing-products or
DAC