Jim Wilson writes:

> Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > > 1) Less effort positioning buildings (easier to move them around if need be).
> > >  Just place the origin at some landmark in the scene and place the whole thing
> > > in one shot.
> >
> > I really think we should switch over to .ssg files for scenery objects.
> > The problem with .ac files is that we need to recalculate the normal
> > vectors (for each object?). I've tested them with some other file
> > formats and they all load way faster.

.ssg files are *much* faster loading then anything else.

> So long as we have a good converter, it should be fine to do that.  One
> possibility would be to cache .ac files as .ssg files on the disk.  From the
> modeler's perspective it is probably going to be easier to have .ac files in
> the base package.

we could keep the .ac .3ds .whatever files as they are in the base package
and require that you run a 'scenery' compiler before you actually run FGFS
after a scenery update.

AFAICT it would even be faster to keep the .ac name in the xml files and do
the extension manipulation in our code and do a fstat() on filetimes and compile
the .ac to .ssg if necessary

Norman